Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mo-Hits Evangelism

Virus Scare!!!

If you have not heard the new single , Oliver Twist by D'banj, then I must say you live on another planet (or is it that you don't have access to the internet?). The Mo-hits "pastorate", in their first release after joining the "apostolic network" of Kanye West, released a new single and currently on an "evangelism campaign" to solicit that young people send in videos of them "preaching" their version of the message for prize money between $500 and $2500 and other consolation prizes. This virus is spreading like wild fire and there are as much as 30,000 views on single videos. Watch the video of these "apostles" spreading their gospel below.



It's interesting how these guys have been able to utilize media to create influence in the youth of today. In fact, these guys are using the media to create a new culture in the youth of today. So despite the fact that most youth go to church and youth fellowship and all the works, these guys are creating the paradigm and perspectives for our young people to begin to think.

If you listen to the lyrics of the song, you can see the clear way the devil is pumping rubbish into our hearts. I took the liberty to get the lyrics of the song.

I have a confession
Don’t take it personal
I have a confession so you got to listen
I have a confession
Don’t take it personal
See I like Beyonce, but she dey with Jigga
I like Inichie, her ______ is bigger
I like Rihanna, she dey make me day go gaga
I like Omotola cos people like her
I like Genevieve cos I think that she’s so sweet
And her jebu ari
Cos she no dey drink garri
It’s not her fault you know
You cannot blame me though
I wanna have them all
I know it but the truth is that

I am just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
Just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
You’re just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
I’m just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
(He sings some meaningless words)

You got a secret but I think I know it
You want to let it out but them go call you ______
You like to __________
Do the hmm hmmm hmmm
I know you like D’banj
And you like Don Jazzy
You like 2baba
And you like Fally Pupa
And I know you love Trey Songz
But you no fit sing his songs
I cannot what you know
I do not blame you though
You wanna have them all
You know which one
But the truth is that

You’re just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
Just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
You’re just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
You’re just an Oliver
Oliver Oliver Oliver Twist
(He sings some meaningless rubbish)

Hey,
Why you come dey shakey shakey _________
When you know say you no getey getey ________
Hey,
Oya shakey shakey ________
Cos for this gbedu you must need need the ________
Shakey _________


A message, that is powered by music, will easily override any restrictions in your rational mind because music communicates with your subconscious. Since this generation is one that thrives on sight and sound, any message that is very well packaged in this format, will easily be absorbed. One truth we must know and use to our benefit is this, CONTENT IS KING!

We already have content that is positive and value-based-God's Word. We must work on our packaging. Let's take advantage of the power of sight and sound to influence this generation positive or else we will soon have a generation that is wild and godless.

5 comments:

Princeayo said...

Hi Apostle, it might come as a surprise to you that some of us, could be quite a selected few, but some of us, still live in this planet, and no, we have not or do not listen to D'banj, Kanye West, et al.

I thought I should clear that one fest!

But in any case, I get your point on this one. As much as I do agree with what you are aiming at, I agree to what you are proposing, but I am a bit concerned about us as Christians doing things in the fashion of the world.

I know that we as Christians have a very important responsibility on us to reach out to the world, but should we use the methods of the world to reach to the world? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.

What I think we lack as sons and daughters of God is inspiration. To us has been given much opportunity. We have a Father, who is a Master of inspiration, a Brother and Saviour, who is ever ready to with His message, and we have the Spirit - Inspiration gangan.

This Bible passage baffles me. I first heard it in my Handel's Messiah - Psalm 68: 11 (The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it. - KJV or The Lord gives the word [of power]; the women who bear and publish [the news] are a great host. - Amplified) (and just to quickly add, I love the Amplified version better, especially because it mentions WOMEN, but whichever one it is, what it shows is that God is never lacking in messages to send. The belief that God cannot send all of us as preachers is wrong. He has enough word for us to be preaching all day and night till we die. The methods may differ from one to another, each according to their ministry, but we need to get inspiration from God.

Shouldn’t we be examples to the world, not the other way round? Christians may not have the privilege of the funds, tech know how, worldly connections and all. But as the sons and daughters of God (that word excites me, me being a son of God), being the light of the world, wherever we are, our light should shine so bright in the darkness of this evil world, in spite of all their skills, techy knowledge, approaches and techniques and in spite of their father being the lord of this world system – the devil.
I am not against the advancement of the gospel through various avenues of modernisation (I am sending this message via internet, and I have an voice Bible on my phone!), but we members of the true church, need to call on our Father for more inspiri! Sorry, we need to tune into what His Spirit has made available for us. He’s got enough to last us a life time.

Princeayo said...

And, was writing the lyrics out really necessary?!

Really?

Dave Eka said...

Hmmm ...
A number of us do not listen to this kind of music "intentionally" but we cannot deny the fact that music from whatever source does find their way of filtering into our subconscious.
Have you ever been in a super 'spiri' mood and you feel some great music welling up from your within and you are about to worship, only for you to find out after singing a few lyrics that the music is not what you could really worship God with.
Let wake up!! We can’t live safe empty at any time, we should be filled with the good and stay under the right influence. To deal with issues like this we must have the right replacement to refill people.
Jesus spoke of a man whom a demon was cast out of him. The man was not filled with the right stuff then the devil came and found him empty and furnish for accommodation, thus bringing with him seven more wicked demons to occupy this man. This man state was worse than before.
In my personal opinion, I think we have made a lot of people in our generation like this man. We snatch them and snatch things from them but never offer the right alternative.
To bring about the desire change we must be responsive and reactive. We should not wait for some 'evangelist Dbanj' to releases his 'spirit-filled' music before we act.
Let get creative with our messages and with the tools of conveying such, churn out ideas that are irresistible because it’s born of the true and pure Spirit.

We can make that change… let do it

Eyitope said...

Princeayo,

I love the objectivity with which you approached my post particularly the issue about using worldly methods to reach the world. The bible tells us that we are in the world BUT not of the world and that major value system should be used to evaluate any method we want to use to preach the good news.

The purpose of this post is simple, to sensitize us to the need to preach the gospel of the Kingdom to the world. For communication to be effective, the message must be heard and understood. What's the point of preaching to me in Chinese, when I don't understand one word of Chinese?

My point is this, this generation responds to any message that appeals to their senses of sight and sound. We can take our message and get their attention by using the same media.

There are 2 issues here. First the use of technology and the methods used to push the truth.Despite having good content, the underlying principles of godliness must not be sacrificed to get the message across. I was on a christian website, that in a bid to reach the world with the truth were using DaGrin's soundtrack as background and someone was speaking in tongues over it. IMAGINE!!!

Princeayo said...

O ga o, you see what I mean (the Dagrin example). This is the exact thing I am afraid could start happening in Christianity, well, as you know from me anyway; I have my own views on what Christianity means. My views are that the church of God can never be compromised (I mean diluted), rather, it is the members that may vary from time to time (2 Timothy 2:19).

I may not be qualified to actually judge on specifics though. It has happened in the Bible, Hosea was asked to marry a prostitute. If any man of God does that now, I can imagine the BBC, CNN and EMN (Every Mouth Network) going about town and imagine what they will be saying. So, it might be difficult for me to comment on specifics, though I may still have views.

However, we need the Spirit of God. If we are not led by God's Spirit, apart from the fact that we will work/walk in darkness, we are not God's son (I know that there are discussions on that too, that people that are not led by God’s Spirit could be ‘children’ of God, but not ‘sons’, something to do with maturity levels, that is a discussion for another day, my own understanding is - Not Spirit led, Not of God! [Acts 17: 28]) So, in anything we do, especially, in preaching the gospel we need God’s leading through His Spirit.

Your point about the Chinese is true bro, the twist to it is that, if God tells you to speak Chinese to someone you 'think' cannot speak Chinese, and you believe that is silly, then, you will be disobeying God, and you know more than I do, that this will have its repercussions.