Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Are Chrisitans Relevant to Society?

Happy New Year everyone! I'm sure a lot of my readers would have been wondering what happened to this blog. I just came back from a month-long sabbatical in the country side of Ibadan (you should try it sometime-you could add some flesh to those bony cheeks of yours). Not only did the Christmas abd New Year holidays take me away from the blog, the visitation of "Subsideen" to every home (on the invitation of our president Goodluck Jona) also affected my blogging calender. It's great to be back though. Once again welcome to 2012! Let me get on to today's post.

The crisis Nigeria experienced in the second week of this year got me thinking about the role and relevance of the Church (the body of Christ and salt of the earth) in a nation. While leaders like Pastor Tunde Bakare took to the streets to protest the insensitivity of the FG to the plight of Nigerians and others like Pastor Sam Adeyemi  voiced their displeasure at the FG's attitude to corruption, some simply pretended as if nothing was happening or publicly condemned the actions and speech of those who spoke publicly for the people. It seemed to me that Christians in general were as confused as every other Nigerian in understanding what to do at such a time. I started wondering how truly relevant Christians are in society considering the fact that the scriptures say that when things are happening in a city (town, life, nation, etc), God ALWAYS informs His prophets-Amos 3:7 (you and I). Can a nation be plunged into a crisis of such proportions and God would keep His own in the dark about it?

I strongly believe that there is a shift taking place in Africa and Nigeria is experiencing its own bit of this transition. At such a time as this, Nigeria is in need of individuals who, like Daniel can enter the courts of our God and bring solutions to the issues the leadership cannot resolve. Nigeria needs musicians, artists, actors, writers and such like who can make Isaiah 61 a reality. The anointing is not just for personal comfort. It starts there but eventually translates to societal impact and influence.



No comments: