Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lessons From the NLNG Prize winner for literature

Have you ever heard of Nigeria LNG? I hadn't too, at least not at close range, until recently when my dearest friend, Mai Nasara (aka Adeyemi Adeleke) won the Nigeria LNG prize for literature with his book, The Missing Clock.

The book was selected from amongst over 25 other entries and yesterday, 6th February 2012, I attended the award ceremony, where he was honoured for this timely contribution. Our own Wole Soyinka, honoured the event and endoresed the book. I'm proud to say that Mai Nasara is a brother and also a member of my church The Strong Nation.

In the over 5 years that I've known Leke (which is what I call him), I've known about a few ideas for books he's had (I remember trying to work on the illustrations for one of his books) and the passion with which he's pursued developing materials, particulalry books, for children. That passion drove him to write in spite of the ridicule he faced for pursuing his dreams. You see Leke, so convinced of what he has been called to do (i.e. write children's books), didn't take a regular job and things were so tight that many people looked at him with pity.

But then he stuck to his life call and today...the rest is in the newspapers.

I'd like to say that there's nothing extra special about his book. The same way that there was nothing special about David's sling and stone as he confronted Goliath. The only special thing was that God needed a tool and David (and Leke) provided Him one. David didn't think he would become a celebrity. His heart only burned to see this uncircumsized Philistine not dishonour his God and God's chosen people. That same passion burned in Leke's heart and then he won $100,000 and got a platform of influence.

God is looking for more Davids and Lekes. What have you got in your hands?

No comments: