Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Resurrection, the Emergence of a New Nigeria


The time is 10.27PM and here I am, in my study sitting behind my desk, writing about my dear country Nigeria. Since about 4Pm, I had been glued to a friend’s laptop, where we were streaming the live updates of the results of the presidential elections, over the internet. By the time I got home around 7 PM, there was no electricity (trust PHCN or is it IBEDC they are called now sef?), so I had to switch to my generating set, which is meant to be my backup but at times serves as the main de main (shey you get me now?) I quickly switched on the generating set and poised myself to follow the unfolding drama. After several minutes of listening to the results, I heard my gen, which had been purring on gently, suddenly sing a high pitched note. Kai! My fuel don finish, I thought. I would have to follow the rest of the updates on social media or on my phone’s radio. By the time you are reading this, it would be obvious who the president of the country would be for the next 4 years. But that isn’t really my point with this article.

My point is simple. Is it coincidental that Nigeria is choosing the president of the country the day before Palm Sunday? Is it just a coincidence that the commemoration of the deliverance, of the human race from the clutches of the devil, wrought through Jesus Christ death and resurrection (Easter), coincides with the same week Nigeria steps into a new era of leadership? I think not! God is the one who sets times and seasons. Genesis 1:14 gives us a clear picture of God’s intention of setting celestial bodies in the sky and the various seasons. They are signs and tokens (like signposts of appointed events or happenings already scheduled by God).

All around, Nigerians have been clamoring for a new country. A place where things work, where the amenities and utilities available are not just for the enjoyment of a privileged few but open to all and sundry. It is obvious that Nigerians, home and abroad, are desirous of a nation that they can be proud of and of which they can enjoy the good in it. I can also say, with some specificity, that this is the season for the fulfillment of some prophetic words spoken over this great nation. Just last year, we stepped into our centenary, and not too long ago we marked 50 years of independence. In the bible, the number fifty represents a jubilee; a season where freedom is given to people indebted or enslaved.

As Nigeria receives the new president, let us know that we are walking into a new season, a season of resurrection and life. A season where the Emmanuel has broken the gates of brass, cut the bars of iron in asunder and has ransomed and rescued captive Nigeria from the clutches of the evil that has held us down the fifty-plus years of our independence.

No comments: